The Commercial Planner, Waterfront Shipping, supports the Commercial Department, with a focus on achieving the lowest possible rates for the service levels required for spot shipments. Together with the Operations group, this position works with Supply Chain and the Commercial Manager to work on optimising logistics of the fleet. Additionally, this position works with Global Supply Chain to monitor and manage inventory. The role builds relationships with third party suppliers and brokers, and works closely with the Commercial Manager, President, and Operations group as a team to achieve goals.
- Spot chartering, as well as close follow up with regional transhipment requirements
- Continuously seek opportunities to reduce costs on all ocean freight
- Negotiate effective deals on spot fixtures (must have solid understanding of supplier cost structure)
- Supports Commercial Manager, as required, to negotiate any Contracts of Affreightment, internal and external
- Supports Commercial Manager, as required, to negotiate all spot shipments
- Assists President and Commercial Manager on reporting, as required
- Supports Commercial Manager in preparation for Waterfront’s budgets, as required
- Develops relationships with owners and brokers to ensure their full co-operation and assistance when required
- Develops strong relationships with customers
- Provides support, where relative, to groups/teams from customers’ logistics management who are developing improvements
- Works with Global Supply Chain, Marketing regions, and Commercial Manager to ensure comfortable inventory levels at production sites and in region.
- Supports regional transshipments and the optimization, thereof
- A university degree in an associated discipline (i.e. accounting, engineering, business administration, operations)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the shipping and logistics industry
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the shipping market works (including regulatory), the players, and closely follow and read market changes and trends
- Understanding of the dynamics of a global commodity business
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships easily
- Disciplined analytical approach and solid understanding of financial theory Leadership skills
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral
- Strong computer skills in desktop applications (Excel, Word, MS Project, Access)
- Excellent negotiation skills – able to negotiate on a win/win basis
Please visit our website at https://www.methanex.com/careers/current-opportunities/canada-%E2%80%93-vancouver/942/commercial-planner-waterfront-shipping to submit your cover letter and resume.