Journeyman Industrial Electricians
Marine Atlantic is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
We are currently accepting applications for Journeyman Industrial Electricians to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These are permanent full-time positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour.
Reporting to the Chief Electrical Engineer, this position performs preventive and corrective maintenance on our vessels relative to electrical and electronic equipment and control systems.
The main responsibility for this position is for all electrical maintenance to be performed in a safe and timely basis pertaining to all departments. This position must have a good understanding of the vessel’s electrical machinery, systems, and test equipment and provide advice when performing difficult tasks.
Education / Certification
Inter-provincial Red Seal Industrial Electrician Certification
A combination of equivalent certification, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- Capable of reading and working from electrical drawings. Experience in tracing electrical circuits and systems
- Able to trouble shoot electrical controls and distribution systems
- Must have knowledge of a delta distribution system
- MCC and Soft Start MC experience
- Must be familiar with:
o engine alarm and monitoring systems and fire detection systems
o Automation and PMS systems and PLC
o HVAC systems and VFD devices
o generator controls and generator paralleling circuits
o industry standard testing equipment.
- Must be able to perform Lock Out /Tag Out procedures
- Must have a CPR Certificate
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Previous relevant work experience in a marine environment
- Experience and/or training in marine electrical/electronics
- Familiarity with computerized preventive maintenance systems
- Marine STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Courses, including valid MED refresher
- Passenger Safety Management
Acceptance for the position will be conditional pending successful completion of a Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Examination, Marine STCW 6.1, and Marine Advanced First Aid. Candidates will be expected to successfully complete Marine STCW 6.2 within the first 6 months of accumulated sea time. Please note that Marine Atlantic will arrange for this required training.
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.