A Canadian Shipping Company is looking for a Port Manager in their Vancouver location.
The main duties of the Port Manager in Vancouver, BC are: managing a team of port agents and Port Superintendents in an Agency environment, managing support staff in the Agency Department, liaising with principals; overseeing all operations and conducting business development.
- Manage Vessel operations, including communication with owners, operators and Charterers.
- Ensuring safe berthing/sailing of vessels in conjunction with Pilots, Tugs, Linesmen and Terminals.
- Ensuring compliance with required government regulations as dictated by CBSA, CFIA, and Transport Canada etc.
- Ensure efficient coordination among various cargo suppliers/receivers and transporters for loading/ unloading of cargo
- Ensure compliance with BCMEA/ Terminal labour related requirements
- Oversee the correct preparation of ship related documents i.e. NOR SOF, boarding papers, mates’ receipts, B/L, advice notices etc.
- Verifying & updating any deficiencies in vessel official documents
- Oversee the submission and monitoring of estimates and port disbursements
- Ensure the proper maintenance of ship files, port logs, and ensure all revenue generating services are explored, updated and applied.
- Verifying and approving all supplier contracts on behalf of Principals if required
- Ensuring vessel requirements are being met
- Arranging for all crew requirements and needs
- Vessel scheduling
- Updating all concerned with regular communications about a vessels, Principals and related services
- Oversee activities of Superintendents and Agents and coordinate group’s work schedules
- Conduct active business development with the view of adding new Principals and new Agency representation appointments.
- A University Degree is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, good computer skills
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Strong English Language skills, oral and written
- Practical shipboard experience an asset
- Must be organized and able to multitask at all times
- At least five years shipping industry experience would be an asset
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes and skills:
- Highly motivated
- Process oriented
- Self starter
- Good entrepreneurial skills
- Highly organized and deadline focused
- Customer service oriented
- Must be a team player