Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (WCMRC) is a Transport Canada certified , whose mandate is to ensure there is a state of preparedness in place and to mitigate the impact when an oil spill occurs. This includes the protection of wildlife, economic and environmental sensitivities, and the safety of both the responders and the public.
WCMRC is recruiting for a full time Spill Response Technician Deckhand to join our North Coast spill response team, located in Prince Rupert, B.C.
Our Spill Response Technician Deckhand will be responsible for:
- Provide safe, prompt and efficient support to spill incidents, exercises and preparedness projects.
- Maintain spill response equipment to ensure all equipment is operational and response ready at all times.
- Act as a Deckhand on Spill Response Vessels.
- Complete assigned work orders, vessel runs, annual equipment refits, vessel dry docking, and assist with regulatory inspections, i.e. Commercial Vehicle Inspections, Transport Canada Vessel
Inspections and Class Inspections.
- Maintain inventory of warehouse, vessels and trailers.
- Provide training to our new hires/ casuals/ contractors.
- Work on project teams.
- Follow proper repair procedures and assist with preventive booming tasks.
Our spill response team is comprised of professionals with diverse skills and experience. Their ability to effectively manage and direct spill response procedures within the first few hours after response activation significantly reduces the negative impacts oil can have on the surrounding environment. On a spill site, WCMRC personnel work to ensure that the situation is thoroughly assessed, response strategies are carefully devised, and resultant countermeasures are quickly deployed.
The successful candidate will possess a high school diploma, and have a minimum of three years previous experience with marine and small power equipment maintenance. You must be capable of lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and by physically fit for work at sea in calm and rough waters. You must also be willing and able to work outdoors under inclement weather. You also need to be a collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people on multiple projects, and who is able to manage shifting priorities.
At WCMRC we value open and honest communication that fosters a climate of trust, integrity in all our business practices, success through competency, creativity and teamwork, and being a steward of the environment. We believe that putting our values into practice creates long-term benefits for our employees, shareholders, stakeholders, suppliers and the communities we serve.
If you share our company values and believe that you have the necessary knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to succeed in this position, then we would like to hear from you. To apply, send a cover letter and detailed resume. http://wcmrc.com/careers/?ja-job=28921 We thank you in advance for your response and regret that only those individuals who are selected for an interview will be contacted.