Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include:
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic has immediate openings for Senior Engineers to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, full-time, spare and relief.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer, the Senior Engineer performs their watchkeeping duties from the Main Control Room.
This position is responsible for the safe operation of all mechanical equipment and systems in the machinery spaces. The Watchkeeping Engineer is responsible for the refueling of the vessel, ensuring all safety procedures are followed.
Under the direction of the Second Engineer, this position is required to perform both preventive maintenance as scheduled by the Maintenance System and also carry out corrective maintenance as required. The Senior Engineer in Charge of the Watch must be capable of making quick decisions in critical situations and provide supervision to the engine room staff when performing their engine room activities. Good communication skills are required when dealing with other departments to ensure a safe and efficient operation.
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum 3rd Class Motor Certificate
- 24 months recent experience (since 2009) in a similar position
- Marine STCW 6.1 and 6.2
- Propulsion Plant Simulator Certificate II
- Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Certificate
- Effective communication skills when interacting with the vessel’s crew and other associated personnel
- Must demonstrate ability to lift, handle, and carry heavy objects over 20 kg
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Graduate of a recognized Marine school in a related program
- Work experience as a Welder, Diesel Mechanic, Heavy Duty Mechanic, Refrigeration, Machinist, Pipe-fitter, and Electronics
- Passenger Safety Management
- Confined Space Certification
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of our Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm Atlantic Time on 06 July 2018.
Please note: Applicants must apply online, and fill out all sections and questions of the application.
Marine Atlantic is a federal Crown corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.