As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Junior Engineers to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer and supervised by the Senior Engineer of the Watch, the Junior Engineer carries out watchkeeping duties in the Engine Room. This position must be familiar with the operation of our vessel’s machinery and have a full understanding of boilers, pumping systems, refueling procedures, hydraulics, thermodynamics, refrigeration, and air conditioning. The Junior Engineer is required to assist in performing preventative maintenance and, under the direction of the Second Engineer, carry out corrective maintenance duties as assigned.
With a focus on safety and the environment, this position is required to perform or assist in all maintenance activities, show good mechanical skills and judgment, and have the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Key Areas of Responsibility Include
- Performing watches under the direction of the Senior Engineer on watch.
- Communicating with the previous watch keepers and discussing any issues that may have occurred while on watch.
- Having knowledge of all running machinery and their auxiliary systems.
- Ensuring all machinery is in good running condition without any safety hazards.
- Any issues found must be reported to the Senior Engineer on watch.
- Performing corrective or planned maintenance work as directed by the
- Senior Engineer on watch.
- Making a pre-watch round of all machinery spaces on all levels of the
- vessel to check machinery parameters, levels and operation.
- Reporting results of sounding tanks to Senior Engineer on Watch.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education and Certification
Valid 4th Class Motor Certificate STCW 95
- Propulsion Plant Simulator Certificate I
- STCW 6.1 & 6.2
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical Examination
- Proficiency in Survival Craft
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Advanced First Aid
- Confined Space Certification
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may work in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online
For your application to be considered, all questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.