Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
The Operations Coordinator is responsible for maintaining situational awareness and coordinating daily port operations activities. This position is the first point of contact for customers and stakeholders regarding the entire range of marine and security issues and is responsible for taking action, redirecting or escalating the response as appropriate. In addition, the Operations Coordinator coordinates incident response and dispatches VFPA land and water resources as required.
This role will:
• Coordinates port operations promoting safety and efficiency in accordance with port practices and procedures, gathers and interprets operational intelligence from a variety of sources and takes action accordingly
• Evaluates and responds to operational requirements directly or with guidance from the Marine Operations Specialist, Manager Marine Operations – Deputy/Assistant Harbour Master, Duty Harbour Master or representative
• Monitors marine and land traffic movements anticipating potential operational issues and taking preventive action
• Coordinates provision of services to customers and ship agents including anchorage assignments and other vessel requests
• Reviews and processes service requests issuing permits and authorizations in accordance with VFPA procedures
• Dispatches port resources as required including harbour patrol, road patrol, maintenance or contracted resources
• A core component of the position is to provide functional guidance to VFPA land and water resources; acts as a channel through which work is directed
• Manages a variety of phone calls from customers, stakeholders as well as the public
• Provides written and verbal reports on operational intelligence to VFPA staff as required
• Monitors and reports on Port activities, developing situations and incidents within the Port environment, using all available resources including technology and systems
The successful candidate will have completed a two year full time diploma in operations and logistics, transportation and logistics or another acceptable discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution and possess a minimum of three years related marine experience. Excellent knowledge of the port system and stakeholders and experience in emergency and dispatch is an asset. Must have excellent computer skills and proficiency in MS Office Suite.
This position is ideal for an individual able to work under pressure. Demonstrate the ability to use good judgment, make decisions, show initiative and take responsibility for situations when required. Exhibit the ability to work effectively in teams demonstrating excellent communication and interpersonal skills with internal and external contacts. A customer service, results orientated approach is required.
The incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid Marine Transportation Security Clearance as this position is required to access restricted areas/information as defined by the Marine Transportation Security Regulations.
Shift work entailing continuous coverage in normal office conditions. The three most senior incumbents will operate under the fixed schedule and the other two incumbents will operate under the flex schedule.
Port of Vancouver offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting
http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/ (Please note this posting will remain open until filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community